Designed by Diamond Schmitt Architects
Photos by Alina Cornea Architectural Photography and Smith + Andersen
This addition and renovation to the York Osgoode Hall Law School consisted of a one-storey podium addition, an east entry pavilion, a building renovation and seminar room infill. This project has achieved LEED Silver Certification.
The mechanical systems in the existing building dated back to 1968 and had not be upgraded. The project comprised of upgrading most components on existing air handling units such as fans (now with VFDs), coils, humidifier grids and some of the paneling. Virtually all air distribution in the building was redone. The new building addition had custom roof top units serving the new mock courtroom, offices and atrium. All pumping systems in the building were replaced and steam heating system was replaced with glycol. The building continues to be fed by the central plant with steam for heating systems and chilled water for cooling. The plumbing system was upgraded and modified to suit the new program space. Fire protection system was modified to provide coverage for the entire building.
After a load analysis and review of the existing distribution equipment, the 1000 kVA transformer was replaced with a new 1000 kVA fan-cooled transformer to accommodate the increased building area loads. A new switchboard and panels were also installed to replace the aged equipment. Transient voltage surge suppression was provided at panels serving sensitive electronic equipment. A new standby generator was provided for emergency loads. The fire alarm system was replaced with a new two-stage, fully addressable system.
Parts of the existing ceiling concrete features, such as skylights at the lobby entrance, are framed by slender linear wall mounted luminaires creating square halos of light. The luminaires are located in such a way to allow sunlight in the space and are automatically turned off during daylight hours. Adjacent to the lobby entrance, the grand hall receives a combination of multiple light sources to complement the different uses. Wall-mounted flat luminaires brighten the brick wall, highlighting the renovated building area. Within the glass ceiling in the main corridor, a cluster of aimable luminaires have been installed at both sides of the angled metal beam to supplement the ambient lighting and add sparkle. Pairs of glass pendants delineating the seating areas provide comfortable lighting for meeting or relaxing. In the library, extruded aluminum linear pendants with lenses were installed between the stacks. Direct/indirect luminaires with a custom plate are located deep inside the existing coffered ceiling to highlight the structure and provide the proper light levels. Lighting is provided in clusters, rather than every cell, to avoid overpowering the strong structural components.
2012 IES Illumination - Toronto Section Award
2012 IES Illumination - International Award of Merit