The Toronto office of Smith + Andersen is currently seeking a Project Manager- Intelligent Integrated System. You’ve been interested in the convergence of building systems for a while now. You see this integration as the future of electrical design and would like to be part of this growing field. You also have fantastic prioritization abilities. While everyone else is focussed on their individual tasks, you’ve got an eye on the larger goals of a project, and have a detailed road map for how to meet those goals. When others work with you, they know that deadlines do not slip and details will not get missed. As a natural leader, you are happiest when everyone is moving in the same direction, and you never hesitate to step up and get others the answers they need. You have clear communication skills, and can effectively wield those skills to make sure clients, consultants, and contractors are kept in the loop. Your cool, calm demeanor helps you easily manage multiple tasks without getting frazzled, allowing you to take on the systems integrated design for some of the biggest and most exciting projects in the country.
Does this sound like you? If so, here are some of the more detailed responsibilities you can expect in this position:
• Prepares, or assists Principal-in-charge with, the development of all system engineering concepts (e.g. design brief) and concept report. Reviews and manages the design in terms of construction budgets.
• Performs, or arranges for, reviews of existing installation and interprets/manages the impact on the project.
• Prepares all calculations and selects all equipment. May assign tasks to designer and CAD Technician where appropriate.
• Fully understands Codes and Standards relevant for the project and is able to communicate all requirements to the internal project team, external project team, owner, and Authorities having Jurisdiction.
• Ensures proper coordination of document with the internal and external project team (architect, interior designer, and other disciplines).
• Fully understands (construction) project procurement methodologies and is able to recommend or apply such method for the project
• Responsible for reviewing all deliverables for the project whether reports, calculations, drawings, or/and specifications. Reviews for completeness and accuracy at various stages of development and as defined by internal total quality management.
• Promotes and enforces company standards relating to project administration, documentation and processes such as total quality management.
• Where requested by the Principal-in-charge or Associate Principal act as contract administrator for designated projects, ensuring timely completion of all contract administration activities for project.
• Ensures that shop drawing review process takes place within project timelines.
• Coordinates with the contract administration team regarding drawing reviews, proper set up of contract administration process and site activities.
• Prepares all change notices or reviews change notices issued by contract administration team.
• Responsible for ensuring tasks are completed both accurately and with the assigned hours/fee.
• Responds to both technical and financial queries related to the project.
• Keeps the Principal-in-charge or Associate Principal advised of all changes in scope of work and prepares amendments to the contract (e.g. Request of Additional fee-RAF) for review and submission to client.
• Supports the process of accounts receivable.
• Responsible for ensuring the internal project team discipline coordination processes are complete.
• Prepares and continually monitors a schedule of tasks required to complete the project including hours to perform tasks and critical data required for performance.
• Liaises with external consultants, vendors as required to ensure smooth project delivery.
• Organizes and attends meetings including client meetings.
• Capable to deliver presentations to client/owner.
A few more qualifications which will help you with these responsibilities:
• Possess 5 or more years in the telecommunications, security or audiovisual or electrical
• Possess P. Eng, RCDD, PSP, CTS, CTS-D, MCSE, CCIE Certifications are an asset
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, CAD/Revit, MS Project, Visio
• Demonstrate a strong leadership qualities and ability to work independently
• Demonstrate the ability to work in a complex environment, dealing with multiple projects and clients
• Possess sound communication skills as demonstrated through client and staff relations
• Demonstrate experience working with other consultants and contractors, and coordination of major projects
• Knowledgeable about the BISCI, EIA/TIA and CSA standards
• Display strong sense of urgency and ability to prioritize tasks
• Have excellent problem solving and decision-making skills
For more information about Smith + Andersen, please visit our website at www.smithandandersen.com.
To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please place the job title and office location in the subject line of the email.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided to candidates upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process. Successful applicants will be advised of Smith + Andersen’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended.
Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Smith + Andersen is a trusted Canadian consulting engineering firm with offices in Vancouver, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, London, Toronto, Ottawa, and Halifax. Founded in 1965, Smith + Andersen has organically grown from an established reputation as trusted mechanical and electrical consultants, reaching new levels of engineering and design excellence in the communications, security and audiovisual fields, and providing enhanced services such as lighting, building automation systems, and intelligent integrated systems design. Thanks to their client-focussed approach, Smith + Andersen is able to apply efficient, sustainable, and reliable design and engineering solutions on the most exciting projects across Canada. From fully-integrated hospitals and welcoming schools, to healthy workplaces and secure transit stations, their team has established lasting relationships with public and private sector clients across the country.