The Toronto office of Smith and Andersen is currently seeking a Project Manager for our Building Assessment and Improvement Group (BAIG). You’re a trained engineer with a passion for retrofit building. You are a hub of information. Not only do you aid in the preparation of all system engineering concepts, but you’re also a go-to whenever team members need someone to review reports, calculations, drawings, and specifications. Detail oriented, but also a big picture thinker, you expertly respond to technical and financial project questions while also promoting and enforcing company standards. No matter the size of the project, you’re focused on quality management, and are quick to coordinate with external and internal team members to move a project across the goal line. Even though you often keep tasks moving forward behind the scenes, you’re also an excellent public speaker who can deliver succinct and impactful presentations to clients. You go home knowing that you make a significant impact on every project with which you’re involved – and you love every minute of it.
Does this sound like you? If so, here are some of the more detailed responsibilities you can expect in this position:
• Prepares, or assists Principal-in-charge with, the development of all system engineering concepts (e.g. design brief) and concept report. Reviews and manages the design in terms of construction budgets.
• Performs, or arranges for, reviews of existing installation and interprets/manages the impact on the project.
• Prepares all calculations and selects all equipment. May assign tasks to designer and CAD Technician where appropriate.
• Fully understands Codes and Standards relevant for the project and is able to communicate all requirements to the internal project team, external project team, owner, and Authorities having Jurisdiction.
• Ensures proper coordination of document with the internal and external project team (architect, interior designer, and other disciplines).
• Fully understands (construction) project procurement methodologies and is able to recommend or apply such method for the project
• Responsible for reviewing all deliverables for the project whether reports, calculations, drawings, or/and specifications. Reviews for completeness and accuracy at various stages of development and as defined by internal total quality management.
• Promotes and enforces company standards relating to project administration, documentation and processes such as total quality management.
• Where requested by the Principal-in-charge or Associate Principal act as contract administrator for designated projects, ensuring timely completion of all contract administration activities for project.
• Ensures that shop drawing review process takes place within project timelines.
• Coordinates with the contract administration team regarding drawing reviews, proper set up of contract administration process and site activities.
• Prepares all change notices or reviews change notices issued by contract administration team.
• Responsible for ensuring tasks are completed both accurately and with the assigned hours/fee.
• Responds to both technical and financial queries related to the project.
• Keeps the Principal-in-charge or Associate Principal advised of all changes in scope of work and prepares amendments to the contract (e.g. Request of Additional fee-RAF) for review and submission to client.
• Supports the process of accounts receivable.
• Responsible for ensuring the internal project team discipline coordination processes are complete.
• Prepares and continually monitors a schedule of tasks required to complete the project including hours to perform tasks and critical data required for performance.
• Liaises with external consultants, vendors as required to ensure smooth project delivery.
• Organizes and attends meetings including client meetings.
• Capable to deliver presentations to client/owner.
A few more qualifications which will help you with these responsibilities:
For more information about Smith + Andersen, please visit our website at www.smithandandersen.com.To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please place the job title and office location in the subject line of the email.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided to candidates upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process. Successful applicants will be advised of Smith + Andersen’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended.
Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Smith + Andersen is a trusted Canadian consulting engineering firm with offices in Vancouver, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, London, Toronto, Ottawa, and Halifax. Founded in 1965, Smith + Andersen has organically grown from an established reputation as trusted mechanical and electrical consultants, reaching new levels of engineering and design excellence in the communications, security and audiovisual fields, and providing enhanced services such as lighting, building automation systems, and intelligent integrated systems design. Thanks to their client-focussed approach, Smith + Andersen is able to apply efficient, sustainable, and reliable design and engineering solutions on the most exciting projects across Canada. From fully-integrated hospitals and welcoming schools, to healthy workplaces and secure transit stations, their team has established lasting relationships with public and private sector clients across the country.