The Toronto and Calgary offices of Smith + Andersen are currently seeking a Field Representative specializing in mechanical building services. You enjoy taking on new challenges and you’re not afraid to speak up and ask tough questions. You pride yourself on your friendly yet direct communication skills. That’s why, whether you’re solving problems on your own or as part of a team, you excel.
Does this sound like you? If so, here are some of the more detailed responsibilities you can expect in this position:
- Responsible for contract administration deliverables as per the Consultant agreement to ensure prompt delivery.
- Ensure project specifications and objectives are met. Proactively identify potential project specific issues; including technical and construction related issues as they may arise.
- Review contract design packages. Check for errors and omissions within the contract document.
- Maintain a detailed log of contractor’s work, contract progress and inspection milestones.
- Ensure that sufficient data is obtained through the life of the contract to substantiate contractor’s progress and final payment certificate.
- Review and process contractor’s payment certificates as required.
- Review the contractor’s installations on site to ensure that all work is completed according to the plans, standards and specifications prior to approving work and progress payments.
- Prepare job reports for the client outlining how much work has been completed. Email report along with any photo references; if required on a monthly basis.
- Complete job reports including requests for information, contemplated revisions, change orders, field and pricing reviews.
- Responsible for issuing all site reports.
- Responsible for reviewing the construction site installation progress identifying if all the requirements of the local building code have been met for partial building occupancy, full building occupancy and substantial completion.
- Effectively manage multiple projects of varying size and complexity.
- Respond to field issues and questions relating to the mechanical engineering or other issues as required.
- Provide assistance to designers and engineers with problem solving for issues with project administration.
- Liaise with architects, contractors, owners, specialty consultants, project managers and job captains. Provide customer service levels that meet the needs of the clients.
- Educate designers and design teams on real life examples of installation practices.
- Coordinate site visits with the Project Principal.
A few more qualifications which will help you with these responsibilities:
- Possess 5 or more years of experience in the inspection and supervision of the construction of mechanical building services.
- Mechanical or Plumbing Trade Certificate is an asset.
- Sound knowledge of building codes, provincial health and safety act with respect to construction sites, design standards, construction administration and task manual, materials and methods associated with building construction.
- Knowledge and ability to utilize required computer software; including Microsoft Office.
- Strong written and oral communication skills; able to communicate effectively with both internal and external clients.
- Excellent interpersonal skills along with well-developed problem solving, time management and organizational skills.
- Able to work in complex environment driven by project deadlines.
- Highly innovative with an attention to detail and an ability to accept direction.
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team.
To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please place the job title and office location in the subject line of the email.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided to candidates upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process. Successful applicants will be advised of Smith + Andersen’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended.
Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Smith + Andersen is a trusted Canadian consulting engineering firm with offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, London, Toronto, Ottawa, and Halifax. Founded in 1965, our firm has organically grown from an established reputation as trusted mechanical and electrical consultants, reaching new levels of engineering and design excellence in the communications, security, and audiovisual fields, and providing enhanced services such as lighting, building automation systems, and intelligent integrated systems design. Thanks to our client-focused approach, our team is consistently called upon to apply efficient, sustainable, and reliable design and engineering solutions on the most exciting projects across Canada. From fully-integrated hospitals and welcoming schools, to healthy workplaces and secure transit stations, our team has established lasting relationships with public and private sector clients across the country. Smith + Andersen is an Equal Opportunity Employer.