The London and Toronto offices of Smith + Andersen are currently seeking experienced Electrical Designers. You’re a trained engineer with a passion for electrical building services design. You never shy away from a load calculation, and have the skills to produce drawings in AutoCAD MEP. You enjoy taking on new challenges, but you’re most excited when you can buckle down and efficiently get work done. You’re not afraid to speak up and ask tough questions, and you pride yourself on your friendly yet direct communication skills. That’s why, whether you’re solving problems on your own or as part of a team, you excel. You don’t like being micro-managed, and are looking for an opportunity to work directly with senior leadership – to step up, learn more, and go further in your career.
Does this sound like you? If so, here are some of the more detailed responsibilities you can expect in this position:
- Prepare drawings, specifications and reports necessary to deliver a project.
- Design building systems in accordance with the requirements of municipal or provincial building code and other applicable standards.
- Create project specific details to clarify project scope and create building sections to assist with interference coordination between building systems.
- Develop layouts and design of electrical building systems; such as lighting systems, fire alarm systems, electrical power distribution systems, electrical equipment and lighting control systems. Coordinate with other disciplines as required.
- Prepare load and equipment sizing calculations for the design of electrical distribution infrastructure and lighting. Incorporate calculations into technical drawings.
- Coordinate with necessary project consultants to review equipment. Ensure that a complete and correct design is achieved.
- Review shop drawings from suppliers and contractors. Coordinate drawings with designs and project specific output specifications (PSOS).
- Liaise with all project consultants; coordinate design requirements with all disciplines. Follow total quality management process and supervise drawings between other disciplines.
- Respond to both internal and external communication regarding project or design status.
- Report to the principal and/or project manager regarding design status.
- Utilize CAD software and other resources for design and coordination purposes, ensure all requirements and standards are met including AutoCAD and AutoCAD MEP standards.
- Liaise with suppliers and/or manufacturers for design support, equipment and component selection.
- Assist with the distribution of work between the internal design team; where required.
- Attend project and technical meetings; where required.
- Assist in construction administration by reviewing equipment shop drawings and conducting site visits, site reviews and preparing change notices, site instructions, etc.
A few more qualifications which will help you with these responsibilities:
- University or College graduate of a electrical engineering program.
- Possess 3-5 years of experience in the field of electrical building service.
- A C.E.T. with equivalent experience and abilities will be considered.
- Working knowledge of municipal and provincial codes and authorities
- AutoCAD training and working knowledge on AutoCAD MEP 2012.
- Working knowledge of various electrical systems such as lighting, power, life safety, security, audio video, etc.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; able to communicate effectively with both internal and external clients.
- Ability to work in a complex environment driven by project deadlines.
- Highly innovative with an attention to detail and an ability to accept direction.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please place the job title and office location in the subject line of the email.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided to candidates upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process. Successful applicants will be advised of Smith + Andersen’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended.
Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Smith + Andersen is a trusted Canadian consulting engineering firm with offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, London, Toronto, Ottawa, and Halifax. Founded in 1965, our firm has organically grown from an established reputation as trusted mechanical and electrical consultants, reaching new levels of engineering and design excellence in the communications, security, and audiovisual fields, and providing enhanced services such as lighting, building automation systems, and intelligent integrated systems design. Thanks to our client-focused approach, our team is consistently called upon to apply efficient, sustainable, and reliable design and engineering solutions on the most exciting projects across Canada. From fully-integrated hospitals and welcoming schools, to healthy workplaces and secure transit stations, our team has established lasting relationships with public and private sector clients across the country. Smith + Andersen is an Equal Opportunity Employer.