The Toronto office of Smith + Andersen is currently seeking an experienced BIM Technician. You will work closely with designers and project managers by preparing layouts, schematics and detailed scaled drawings converting them into 3-D modelling using Revit. You will have the opportunity to participate in a wide variety of commercial projects including healthcare, condo-residential, education and many others.
Does this sound like you? If so, here are some of the more detailed responsibilities you can expect in this position:
- Prepare drawing packages, including plans, layouts, schematics, and detailed scale drawings, using drawings and files provided by other consultants and the Smith + Andersen prototype standard drawing setup at the onset of a project.
- Produce and/or modify a BIM (Building Information Model) from sketches, mark-ups and/or designs as required by the project team to suit design requirements, consultant changes, scope changes and/or general updates. The majority of BIM production work will be done using Autodesk Revit.
- Review BIM models against markups to ensure accuracy of work in the three dimensional model and resultant two dimensional drawings.
- Populate and maintain the parametric database within BIM as needed to meet design requirements.
- Discuss interferences, coordination or space issues with the project team for resolution and change implementation. This may include three dimensional analysis using Revit or other software such as Navisworks.
- Prepare submissions for issuance, plotting and archives.
- Control and maintain BIM models in an organized manner in the project directory system as per company standards.
- Adhere to office BIM standards and prototype standards.
- Able to layout pipes, ductwork and identify clashes. When required, produce schematic drawings and sizing requirements, coordinate with all other consultant drawings.
A few more qualifications which will help you with these responsibilities:
- At least 3 years of experience in electrical Revit design and AutoCad.
- College diploma in Architecture or Electrical building service program; or a related field with relevant work experience.
- Strong understanding of the industry installation practices for electrical systems so that what is created in BIM is a close representation to what a contractor can build on site.
- Familiar with building sector services such as plumbing systems, heating, ventilation and air conditioning, lighting, power and systems, fire alarm systems, communications and electrical distributions.
- Strong written and oral communication skills; able to communicate with the design team and external BIM teams or clients.
- Able to work in complex environment driven by project deadlines and the ability to maintain deadlines.
- Highly innovative and motivated with an attention to detail.
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team.
For more information about Smith + Andersen, please visit our website at www.smithandandersen.com.
To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please place the job title and office location in the subject line of the email.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided to candidates upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process. Successful applicants will be advised of Smith + Andersen’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended.
Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Smith + Andersen is a trusted Canadian consulting engineering firm with offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, London, Toronto, Ottawa, and Halifax. Founded in 1965, our firm has organically grown from an established reputation as trusted mechanical and electrical consultants, reaching new levels of engineering and design excellence in the communications, security, and audiovisual fields, and providing enhanced services such as lighting, building automation systems, and intelligent integrated systems design. Thanks to our client-focused approach, our team is consistently called upon to apply efficient, sustainable, and reliable design and engineering solutions on the most exciting projects across Canada. From fully-integrated hospitals and welcoming schools, to healthy workplaces and secure transit stations, our team has established lasting relationships with public and private sector clients across the country. Smith + Andersen is an Equal Opportunity Employer.